What I should expect when I go to court?
Category: Municipal Court
- When you get to court, check the bulletin board for your name on the court list and have a seat in the courtroom. Should your name not appear on the list, go to the Violations Bureau window.
- Prior to entering the courtroom, please turn off your cell phones. Cell phones are strictly prohibited in the courtroom.
- The proceedings are sound recorded, so please remain quiet until it is your time to address the court.
- The judge will give an opening statement explaining court procedures, defendants' rights and penalties.
- Cases are called in the following order:
- Pleas of not guilty with an attorney
- Pleas of not guilty without an attorney
- First appearance or guilty pleas
- A case may be postponed to give you time to obtain representation by a private attorney or by the public defender (if you qualify) and prepare your defense.
- If your case involves a dispute between you and another individual, you may be required to participate in a discussion with a mediator in an attempt to resolve your dispute without going in front of the judge.
Updated 9/30/2016 2:12 PM