The Somerville Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of all Borough streets, parks, public facilities and the sanitary sewer systems.
Public Works provides the following services:
Garbage collection is performed by an outside contractor. If your garbage was NOT collected on its scheduled day, then the following conditions most likely applied:
- the container weighed over 35lbs
- more than 4 containers were placed at the curb
- twigs or yard waste, such as leaves or branches, were in the container
- recyclable materials were in the container
Garbage Collection Schedule
- Monday through Friday, 7 am to 6:30 pm
- No collection on Saturday, unless it's a makeup day due to inclement weather.
- Garbage will not be collected on: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- If garbage collection is cancelled due to a holiday or inclement weather, collection shall be on the next calendar day.
- Bulk-item stickers are available for purchase at Borough Hall.
- Mattress/Box Spring: Wrap fully in plastic and label with required stickers
- Place bulk items curbside the day before your garbage collection day
- No need to call for pickup
- Mix equal parts kitty litter with old latex paint
- Wait for the kitty litter to absorb the paint
- Place the can of dried paint in the regular trash
Appliances Containing Freon (Air Conditioners & Refrigerators)
The Borough and County will not accept Freon-based appliances as garbage or for recycling. Freon must be reclaimed out of the unit at an authorized reclamation facility. Most heating and air-conditioning facilities will dispose of Freon-based appliances for a fee.
Trees, Branches & Leaves
The Borough collects trees and branches year-round, except during the leaf season in November.
- Refer to the Chipper Route Map to see the pickup schedule.
- All branches must be placed at the curb by 7 am.
- No stumps or logs larger than 12-inches in diameter.
- The Borough will not pick up tree parts generated indirectly by landscape contractors working for homeowners.
- If the thick end of the branches are smaller than 1-inch, break them up and place them in a paper bag, then contact email@example.com for pickup. This includes flowers, twigs, hedge clippings, garden clippings and leaves.
Leaf Collection: Starting October 1, place leaves in paper bags and call DPW at 908-704-7195 for pickup. Starting November 1, rake leaves out to the curb. Leaf collection ends after 3 rounds, in mid-December.
Grass Clippings: Put out grass clippings with your garbage (counts as a container toward 4-bag limit) or place them in a brown paper bag and call DPW at 908-704-7195 for pickup.
Free document shredding is available to all residents at various locations around the county. For more information, see the 2023 Operation Secure Shred Schedule.
Streetlight & Power Outages
To report a problem with a streetlight or a power outage, call 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) or visit the PSE&G Outage Center. To sign up for PSEG "My Alerts" text REG to 4PSEG (47734). Have your account number available.
Somerset County administers the recycling program for the Borough of Somerville. For questions about curbside recycling pickup, please call the County Recycling Center at 732-469-3363.
Public Works Information & Applications
Listing files in 'Public Works'
Public Works Director
Clean Communities Coordinator
Asst. to Engineer
Public Works Facility
32 5th Street
Somerville NJ 08876