About the museum
The Somerville Exempt Firemen’s Museum features a visual and interactive walk through 160 years of Somerville firefighting history.
- Operate a restored fire alarm box system that once summoned volunteers to their stations
- View a pre-Civil War hand pumper and an 1873 horse-pulled steam engine
- Learn about advances in fire safety and prevention
The museum is located in a restored 1888-built firehouse at 15 North Doughty Avenue.
Admission and accessibility
Admission is free. The building is ADA accessible only on the first floor.
The museum is open to the public for guided tours on Saturdays, from 10 am to 12 pm. Special tours are available by appointment for schools, scouting organizations, historical societies and senior citizen groups.
- Ron Czajkowski
- Brendan Nally
- Bryan O’Neill
- Rich O’Neill
- Marge Sullivan
- Pat Weston
- Roger Vroom, Council Liaison