Floodplain permits

If you are doing construction or developing a property within a flood hazard area, you may need a floodplain development permit in addition to your building permit.

Depending on the nature of the project, you may also need to get permits from State and Federal agencies.

Rules and regulations


  • Subdivision of land and other developments
  • Site improvements and installation of utilities
  • Manufactured homes (placement and replacement)
  • Recreational vehicles (placement)
  • New construction and alterations
  • Repair, reconstruction, rehabilitation or additions of existing buildings and structures
  • Substantial improvement of existing buildings and structures
  • Tanks and temporary structures
  • Temporary or permanent storage

Maintenance and minor work

You need a floodplain permit if you are doing non-structural replacement-in-kind projects such as:

  • Windows, doors, and cabinets
  • Plumbing fixtures
  • Decks
  • Walls and partitions
  • New flooring materials
  • Roofing

Site plans and construction documents

Your site plan or construction documents need to include:

  • Delineation of flood hazard areas, floodway boundaries and flood zone(s), base flood elevation(s), and ground elevations when necessary for review of the proposed development
  • Location of the proposed activity and proposed structures, and locations of existing buildings and structures
  • Location, extent, amount, and proposed final grades of any filling, grading, or excavation
  • Floodproofing certifications, V Zone and Breakaway Wall Certifications, Operations and Maintenance Plans, Warning and Evacuation Plans and other documentation required by FEMA


Construction, re-location, extension, conversion, or alteration of any structure or land must comply with the Floodplain Management Regulations.

If you violate these regulations or fail to comply with any of the requirements you are subject to:

  • Fine of not more than $1,250
  • Imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days
  • Community service not exceeding 90 days


Navleen Sappal
Land Use Director

(908) 725-2300 ext. 1981
Close window