Borough Hall will be closed on Friday, June 21 in observance of Juneteenth. Expect temporary road closures for the Spartan Spirit 5K on Saturday, June 22.

Shed and detached garage permit guide


For a shed or detached garage project of any size, you need a zoning permit.

You need a construction permit if:

  • Area of the structure exceeds 200 square feet
  • Structure is greater than 10 feet in height
  • Structure has any utilities

A fine (up to $2,000) may be issued to any person performing work without the necessary permits.

Rules and requirements

  • No more than 2 detached accessory buildings are permitted on a 1 or 2 family dwelling lot.
  • They shall be located at least 10 feet or the height of the structure (whichever is greater) from the dwelling.
  • The area of the shed or garage, when added to the existing improvement coverage on the property, must not exceed the maximum in the zone. In the R-1 zone the maximum is 35% of the lot area and the R-2 and R-3 the maximum is generally 40% of the lot area.
  • The maximum height is 16 feet. The floor area cannot exceed 20% of the gross floor area of the dwelling or 600 square feet, whichever is greater.
  • A 4 -inch thick clean stone base is required for structures between 100 and
    200 square feet. Over 200 square feet of area will require a more detailed base, footing or foundation.


  • A 3 foot setback is required if the structure:
    • is less than 144 square feet, and
    • does not exceed 12 feet in length or width, and
    • the height is less than 9 feet
  • A 5 foot setback is required for anything under 500 square, which does not satisfy all of the requirements for a 3 foot setback.
  • For structures that exceed 500 square feet in area
    • R-1 Zone: The rear yard setback is 15 feet and the side yard setback is 10 feet
    • R-2 and R-3 Zones: Generally, the rear setback is 12.5 feet and the side yard setback is 8 feet.

Permit process

Zoning permit

The first step is to apply for a zoning permit. Include these with your application:

  • Plot plan or property survey
  • 3 sets of construction plans

If you own the property, you can prepare the plans. Any work requiring a permit in a structure other than an owner-occupied single family dwelling must have the plans prepared by a NJ licensed architect or engineer.

Review and approval

The Borough’s building, electric; plumbing and fire subcode officials will review the plans and documents for compliance with the Uniform Construction Code. Additional information may be requested at this point.

Permit fee and inspections

The applicant will be notified of the fee for the permit. The applicant can then pay the fee and pickup the permit and placard.

The applicant then places the permit placard at a location visible from the street, and commences work, and requests necessary inspections.

Close window