Friday, June 21: Borough Hall will be closed in observance of Juneteenth.

Schedule a lead paint inspection for a rental property

The State of New Jersey recently passed a new law that requires lead paint inspections for all rental properties.

If you own a rental property, you may have received a letter from us about this new law.

Need to know

  • Cost:
    • $50 administration fee
    • $20 state fee
  • You need to get an inspection by July 22, 2024
  • If you do not get an inspection, you may be subject to a $1,000 per week fine

Before you start

There are 2 types of lead paint inspections, swipe and visual. Somerville buildings are required to get visual inspections. Property owners (or applicant) is responsible for scheduling an inspection every 3 years.


  1. Contact a Certified Lead Paint Contractor (PDF) to schedule a visual inspection.
  2. If your rental unit passes the inspection, you will be issued a lead-safe certificate valid for 2 years.
  3. Provide a copy of the certificate and a copy of the rental lease to the Borough.
  4. Pay fees by cash or check. If you are paying by check, you need to pay each fee with a separate check.

What's next

You need an inspection every 3 years. It should be scheduled 3 years from the date your lead-safe certificate is issued.

After the initial inspection, all units shall be inspected for lead-based paint hazards every three years, or upon tenant turnover, whichever is earlier. An inspection upon tenant turnover is not required if the owner has a valid lead-safe certificate. Lead-safe certificates are valid for two years. If the lead-safe certificate has expired, and there will be a tenant turnover, an inspection will be necessary before the three-year inspection.

In all scenarios, the next inspection should be scheduled three years from the date of issuance of the most recent valid lead-safe certification.

Tenant turnover

You need an inspection if you have tenant turnover, unless you have a valid lead-safe certificate. If your certificate expired and there will be a tenant turnover, you need an inspection before the 3-year inspection.

Get help

Navleen Sappal
Land Use Director

(908) 725-2300 ext. 1981
Close window