You need to register and schedule an inspection for your rental property if it's a single or 2-family home
This does not apply to apartment buildings with 3 or more units and owner-occupied 2-family homes. Inspections are not required for newly constructed buildings (for up to 5 years).
Need to know
- Cost (annual)
- $100 for a single family home
- $125 for a 2-family home
- Fees are due in June every year
Before you start
Review Chapter 132 of the Borough Code and make sure your rental property complies with the rules.
If there has been a recent transfer of ownership or you created a new rental property, you need to register it within 30 days.
- Download the residential rental property registration form.
- Submit the form with a check made payable to the Borough of Somerville.
- Call (908) 725-2300, ext. 1962 to schedule an inspection.
We will inspect your rental property to make sure it complies with Chapter 132 of the Borough Code.
You need to register and schedule an inspection when the tenant changes or every 5 years, whichever comes first.
Change in rental status
Submit a change in status form if your had a rental previously and now:
- Your property is owner occupied (you live there).
- Your property is no longer a rental.