Leaf Pickup, Collection & Composting
The Department of Public Works assists residents with the removal of fallen leaves.
October 1 to Mid-December
Option 1: Collect leaves in paper bags and call for pickup.
Leave paper bags at the curb and call (908) 704-7195 to schedule pickup.
Option 2: Drop off leaves in paper bags.
Drop off leaves in the DPW dumpster between 7:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Note: Plastic bags are not permitted.
October 31 to December 9
Options 1 & 2: See above.
Option 3: Rake leaves to the curb line.
- Do not place leaf piles on the sidewalk or road.
- The Borough will provide 3 rounds of leaf collection, starting Oct. 31
- Each round takes approximately 2 to 3 weeks, weather permitting, with 3 vacuum trucks starting at the edge of town and moving towards the center.
Leaf Piles: Safety Tips
- Do not block catch basins or storm drains (metal grates on the street), which help prevent flooding.
- Keep leaves away from gutters and drainpipes to avoid blocking the free flow of water.
- Do not pile leaves near intersection corners. This causes sight issues for motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Do not pile leaves around mailboxes, power poles, fences, fire hydrants, basketball hoops or other obstacles.
- Do not park vehicles on or near leaves. The heat from a vehicle exhaust system could start a fire.
Leaf Piles: Prohibited Debris
These items will not be collected because they may clog and damage the equipment:
- Branches, sticks and rocks
- Grass clippings
- Ornamental grasses
- Flower potting material
- Pumpkins & gourds
We also recommend backyard leaf composting, which helps the environment and benefits your soil and plants. The Backyard Leaf Composting fact sheet has more information to help you get started.
Public Works Director
Public Works Facility
32 5th Street
Somerville NJ, 08876